Select Page

Film review: Bergger Pancro 400 Part 7 – 120 EI 400 (bracketed +/- 1 stop)Film review: Bergger Pancro 400 Part 7 – 120 EI 400 (bracketed +/- 1 stop)

Film review: Bergger Pancro 400 Part 7 – 120 EI 400 (bracketed +/- 1 stop)

Welcome to part seven of my Bergger Pancro 400 review series. In this article I’ll be demonstrating the film in medium format (120) shot at EI 400 and bracketed by a single stop on each side

If you’re new to the series, I strongly advice you to have a read of the previous articles. You can find them at the Bergger Pancro 400 hub along with a full background on the film in part one.

Here’s what’s covered in this article:



Shooting / development / scanning methodology


I used my trusty 2000 series Hasselblad (focal plane shutter) with an A12 6×6 format film back. I metered using a Sekonic L-608 set to spot mode and zoomed to 1 degree.

Each scene was metered at three points and an average was taken, which was then compared to the an incident reading from the same meter. Where there was a difference, I went with the lower reading of the two.  Each each frame was bracketed by a single stop of under exposure and over exposure.



I used my Hasselblad Planar F 80/2.8 at F/2.8 on the indoor scenes and at F/4 outside. No filters were used.



As with the previous parts in this series – and for consistency, – the film was developed at 20c in Rodinal 1+25 for 8 minutes as per Bergger’s datasheet. During development, it was agitated continuously for the first 60 seconds and then again for 10 seconds at the top of every minute thereafter.

Ilford’s Ilfostop and Rapid Fixer were used at the manufacturer’s recommended dilutions and as per Bergger’s datasheet, the film was fixed for an additional minute before being dunked in Kodak Photoflo and then rinsed for five minutes.

You may notice that the samples below are not 6×6…this is down to sheer idiocy on my part, as I only used enough chemistry to develop a single roll of 35mm film. This resulted in approximately 1/3 of each frame being undeveloped and fixed away. I scanned and cropped to 6×4.5 as a result.



The film was scanned using an Epson Perfection V750 Pro scanner in factory-shipped 35mm holders.

I scanned to TIFF at 1600dpi in Vuescan and I removed a few flecks of dust in Adobe Lightroom.

The files were exported to 1000px on the longest edge in Lightroom with a light hand on getting the file size down for web.





I have provided all four 3-frame scenes I shot on this roll below. As with the other parts in this series, the order of images below is under exposed, correctly exposed (per meter) and over exposed.

Click/tap on the image thumbnails to open the full-sized image in a lightbox. Use the navigation icons, swipe the screen, or tap the arrow keys on your keyboard to cycle through each set.


Sample one


Sample two


Sample three


Sample four





Write for EMULSIVE

The driving force behind EMULSIVE is knowledge transfer, specifically creating more of it in the film photography community. You can help by contributing your thoughts, work and ideas to inspire others reading these pages.

Take action and help drive an open, collaborative community: all you need do is read this and then drop me a line.



Lend your support

Like what you see here? You can support EMULSIVE by helping to contribute to the community voice on this website (see above), or by heading on over to the EMULSIVE Patreon page and considering financial support from as little as $2 a month.

As if that’s not enough, there’s also an EMULSIVE print and apparel store over at Society 6, currently showcasing over two dozen t-shirt designs and over a dozen unique prints of photographs made by yours truly

In short, I want to continue building this platform and I’d love your help to make that happen.



About The Author


Self confessed film-freak and film photography mad-obsessive and OVERLORD at I push, pull, shoot, boil and burn film everyday, and I want to share what I learn.


Comments are welcomed and encouraged on EMULSIVE but there are some instances where comments will deleted, and authors of those comments banned. They are as follows:

  • Comments deemed to be spam or solely promotional in nature will be deleted. Including a link to relevant content is permitted, but comments should be relevant to the topic at hand.
  • Comments including profanity, containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive will be deleted. Note this may include abusive, threatening, pornographic, offensive, misleading or libelous language.
  • Comments that attack an individual directly will be deleted, as will comments that harass other contributing authors. In short, please be respectful toward others.


Add your voice to the discussion

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Find out how you can help support EMULSIVE from as little as $2 a month on Patreon.Learn more