This page provides some additional background and FAQ information for the EMULSIVE page over on Patreon. If you have any questions or requests, this is where to get them answered.
About EMULSIVE for the uninitiated
Regular readers will be familiar with much of the content that appears here on emulsive, as well as the community, as well as the efforts and activities that happen on social media – mostly on twitter.
For those of you who are visiting this website for the first time, here’s a non-exhaustive breakdown:
The emulsive interview: a weekly interview with a film photographer exploring their reasons and motivations for using film and other analogue media as their creative choice.
- Film / camera / lens reviews.
- Film and darkroom experimentation guides and articles.
- Film photographer interviews.
- How-to’s and project builds.
- Thought pieces.
- …and more.
There’s almost too much to list, or at the very least, too much to list without boring you. The focus is this:
- Sharing as much of the film photography knowledge I have amassed over the years.
- Create an atmosphere that encourages knowledge transfer across the community, which informs and inspires both this and the next generation of film photographers.
Finally, through EMULSIVE I create and help support various film-related events throughout the year, including the world’s largest annual film photography gift exchange, EMULSIVE Santa.
If you haven’t already been involved, please check some of the film parties over on twitter: fp4party, neopantastic, summerfilmparty, tmaxparty, deltadefjam, etc.
I should also mention that this is not my day job. Well, not yet.
What’s the Patreon for?
The EMULSIVE Patreon is there to help me keep doing what I’m doing and to do more. As I mention, if you’re a fan of EMULSIVE and part of the associated online community, and you want to support me in the creation of more content and community activities, that’s the place where you can help.
Setting up on patreon to ask for your support is not something I did lightly. My ongoing costs – both money and time – are growing each month and show no sign of slowing. I can continue to support the financial cost for the foreseeable future but would appreciate some of the freedom to create more.
In addition, I would like a future where EMULSIVE is my full-time focus and I need your help to make it happen.
Your financial support will help me to get on top of those costs and allow me to expand the scope of emulsive to support more reviews, features and other new content and community initiatives.
How does Patreon work?
You pledge to donate a certain amount of money per month. In return, depending on how much you choose to donate, you can get:
- Access to an ad-free EMULSIVE.org, with the plan being to completely remove display ads once I hit a certain number of patrons.
- A monthly print from a limited run and signed by me.
- A phone call with me (it’ll be worth it).
- My grandmother’s apple crumble recipe (I am deadly serious).
Regardless of if you choose to donate or not, you will always have my love and thanks for reading and contributing to the website and community.
Frequently asked questions
1) Do I have to pay in US Dollars?
No. You pay in your local/selected currency but because Patreon is a US-based website, everything is written in USD. Your payment will be charged in your local currency but converted to USD.
2) will you have Patreon-only content?
Yes. The goals (top left of this page), show what patron-specific content/stuff I have planned. I will ensure that any content that will only initially be Patreon-only, and will make it’s way to the main website after a short delay.
3) I don’t have much money, how can I help?
There’s a $1 per month tier. It might not sound like a lot but really helps. If you would like to help out in another way, I’m always on the lookout new photographic work, thought pieces and reviews to share with the community, check out this page.
4) Can I stop donating in the future if I can’t afford it?
Yes of course. Just log in and update your settings.
5) What will Patreon and other contributions have on the editorial independence of EMULSIVE
None. EMULSIVE will continue to be an independent community resource. I will continue developing my relationships with the film and wider analogue photography industry and continue to build ties between the industry and the wider community it supports.
6) Can you help me with something else?
Yes, absolutely. If you have questions about using patreon, or encounter any problems with the signup process, their support team is both friendly and helpful. You can send them a message by clicking here. If you have questions specifically about this page, rewards, the emulsive website or just want to chat, drop me a line.
Thank you very much for reading, I’m looking forward to your support!