This started from my curiosity to process color reversal film as slides in an alternative way due to the high cost of E6 chemicals and because they are difficult to obtain in where I live. Before I continue, I apologize for my English because this is not my native language.
I tried googling to get some references and eventually, I found that it is possible to use BW and C-41 chemistry to do this and generally this method consists of 3 main steps:
- First developer (FD)
- Fogging / re-exposure
- Second developer (SD)
For the first developer step, I used ILFORD Ilfotec DD-X at a dilution of 1+4 for 10 minutes. The use of other BW developers is also possible, preferably one whose content has an active agent. Next time I will try using Rodinal because it is cheaper. Step two — fogging / re-exposure — was done for 3 minutes. Here I used a 25W Philips soft tone lamp because by chance this is all I had. For the final step (SD), I used a Kodak Flexicolor C41 kit following a normal process as usual, but I doubling the time for bleach and fix.
The camera that I used for this experiment was my Rolleiflex 2.8D loaded with Fujifilm Velvia 50 RVP50, expired in 2010, which had been stored in cold storage. I measured the incident light by using an external light meter, the Sekonic L-308.
The final results according to my expectations will certainly not be perfect. There is a heavy color cast and color shift towards blue and magenta. The first developer process really determines the overall brightness and contrast of the images. The longer the FD time dev is, the brighter the image will be, the more vigorous the agitation, the more contrast the photo will have.
From this I concluded there is a possibility to do pulled or pushed developing through the first developer to obtain the brightness and contrast as expected. However, I have not yet found a way to minimize color shifts, I suspect this also has to do with the expired nature of the film, although to be sure it needs further experimentation — Incidentally, I still have several expired slide films to experiment with.
I scanned the photos in this process using a digital camera and then did a color correction and post in Lightroom. I hope you can enjoy the result of my photos.
Want to submit your own 5 Frames...?
Go right ahead, submissions are open! Get your 5 frames featured on by submitting your 350+ word article by either using this Google form or by sending an email via the contact link at the top of the page.
This series is produced in conjunction with Hamish Gill's excellent 35mmc.com. Head on over to read the other half of these stories there.
Share your knowledge, story or project
At the heart of EMULSIVE is the concept of helping promote the transfer of knowledge across the film photography community. You can support this goal by contributing your thoughts, work, experiences and ideas to inspire the hundreds of thousands of people who read these pages each month. Check out the submission guide here.
If you like what you're reading you can also help this personal passion project by heading on over to the EMULSIVE Patreon page and giving as little as a dollar a month. There's also print and apparel over at Society 6, currently showcasing over two dozen t-shirt designs and over a dozen unique photographs available for purchase.